Thanks to many people who care about the hall and have been generous with time, money, and expertise, in recent years we have accomplished an impressive array of building renovations. These include making all levels of the hall handicapped-accessible, bringing our kitchen up to code, installing a new dance floor, and restoring the main hall acoustics to pre-renovation quality.
- Spring cleaning day
- Every year we have a big workday cleaning party, usually on the Saturday of Mothers' Day weekend. Some of our dedicated regular renters, like the Boy Scout Troop, come out to help, and the Friends of Greenfield Dance sponsor the event by supplying a pizza lunch for everyone. Look for it on our Events page as the time draws closer, and mark your calendar!
Agricultural Education and Advocacy
Guiding Star Grange #1 continues the Grange tradition of supporting rural and agricultural advocacy through its involvement with state legislation and supporting local educational events.
- State legislation
- Regular meetings include updates on several pieces of proposed legislation in the Massachusetts legislature and ways our members can take action. In October 2014, we passed a resolution in support of mandatory labeling for all food ingredients derived from genetically engineered crops (GMOs).
- Read the full Resolution in support of mandatory GMO Labeling »
- Local partnerships
- Guiding Star Grange is also partnering with other local organizations to support ongoing events such as: pollinator workshops, seed-saving events, and documentary screenings on various environmental and social issues.
- New Farmer Gathering
- We were pleased to co-sponsor the 1st Annual Northeast New Farmer Winter Gathering in Greenfield, December 2015.
- Read a great recap of the event »
Please join us at a regular meeting to get involved. We meet on the first Tuesday of the month, generally starting at 7p.m., at the hall at 401 Chapman St. in Greenfield, except that July and August are often at a nice picnic spot instead. You'll find our meetings on the Events calendar, and you may find many of our members and current officers on the dance floor. Come and say hi!